Simple Cereal Bars
- 220g Pitted dates
- 85g Agave nectar
- 65g Oil roasted peanut butter
- 110g Roasted unsalted almonds
- 140g Rolled / Jumbo oats
Go crazy and try adding these optional goodies...
- Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain (about 1 minute). It should form a “dough” like consistency. (Mine rolled into a ball.)
- Optional step: Toast your oats and almonds in a 180C oven for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Otherwise, leave them raw – I prefer the toasted flavour.
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a large mixing bowl – set aside.
- Warm agave and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to a 20cm x 20cm baking dish or other small pan lined with parchment paper so they lift out easily. (A loaf pan might work, but will yield thicker bars // adjust size of pan if altering batch size).
- Press down firmly until uniformly flattened – I use something flat, like a drinking glass, to press down and really pack the bars, which helps them hold together better.
- Cover with parchment and let firm up in fridge or freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove bars from pan and chop into 10 even bars or 9 squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. I kept mine in the freezer to keep them extra fresh, but it isn’t necessary.